Saturday 2 January 2016

A Different Day

You have all played a part in getting me through today.  From the comments, inbox messages,  texts, calls and blog shares- each one has lifted my spirits.  I went to see an old friend today, the same I have mentioned before, who knows the right things to say. 
In truth, this dear friend of mine is a therapist who I began seeing in the Summer, before I had my diagnosis but at a time life felt too tough to do alone. I was suffering panic attacks which are a legacy from my dad's sudden death three years ago and lonely after relocating for what became an abusive relationship.  I felt hopeless and- i know other single parents who can relate- to occasional bouts of despair where you can sometimes wish the next morning doesn't come.
During this time a friend of mine recommended 'Live  Life, Love Life ',  a self help book  by the life coach Sue Stone and after reading it I emailed Sue with my story and she was kind enough to give me a phone call to motivate me into making change. 
Life felt pretty desperate in a first world problems kind of way,  so I researched therapists in the area and  went to visit mine,  my guardian angel, a few days later. 
I originally went because I thought I was going mad.  For more than a year I had spent my life with someone who encouraged me to believe I was mentally ill and it had taken its toll. For weeks on end I argued my case for being mentally ill, a burden on my children and the cause of every failure. For weeks on end my dear friend reassured me I was actually quite healthy, definitely not diagnosable and eventually I came to believe it myself. 
There is no greater luxury than comfort in your own head space and I am so fortunate to have had that opportunity when it arose as it's meant I can face The Cancer while being much kinder to myself.  
Therapy is beautiful. It's a wonderful, giving,  sharing, experience and an absolute lifesaver to me at this time.  It's a place I can weep for me and my children, where I can be guided to coping strategies and positivity and life.  It's a treat and my dear friend is a genuinely beautiful soul.
Dear reader, life is tough at times. Some people  may judge others for seeking help . I know when I was being convinced I was bonkers I was also berated for suggesting I 'see someone'.  The absolutely most healthy thing you can do as a human is reach out whether it be in Church,  through therapy, with friends. Be kind to yourself,  it's the greatest kindness you can give to  people who love you most.  

No comments: